1.22.2013

Holy Kevin Bacon, Batman!

As I have previously stated, I am currently unemployed. So naturally I have been sitting around the house reading and playing video games for the last three weeks. Well, except for the weekends when I spend my days sleeping and my nights making memories with friends, but that's another story entirely. Yesterday I decided to give my eyes a rest and watched a bunch of movies that I never got to see in theaters. This went on from around 1pm when I woke up until around 8pm when I watched a "Criminal Minds" marathon.

My parents think it's weird that I can sit around for hours watching a show about serial killers and not get freaked out. Mostly because every time there is a "Criminal Minds" marathon on TV, I get way too engrossed in it. Although I am not one to pass up a good blood and gore fest, it's mostly the psychology behind their motives that I find interesting about "Criminal Minds". What Is their justification for all of this? How do they keep their focus with the FBI breathing down their necks? These are the things that I think about while watching the show. Oh, and Shemar Moore because he is a glorious specimen of man.

After the marathon ended, I decided to check out Kevin Bacon's new show on FOX called "The Following". From the trailer the only things I knew about it was Kevin Bacon, and some girl stabbing herself. My Dad had recorded it and since my OnDemand was fucking up, I decided to give it a shot. I wasn't really paying attention because I was playing a new game on my phone for the first half of the episode, but HOLY SHIT it is awesome! Just now, I watched the episode without any distractions and felt the same way I did last night. I never realized how much I like Kevin Bacon until this show. His movies are usually ok, nothing too special or extraordinary, but this show is something great.

I don't want to spoil it too much, but basically Kevin Bacon is an ex-FBI agent with a pace-maker. He's called in as a "consultant" to help the agency find a serial killer who escaped from prison. Before he was caught, this killer was a Professor of Literature at a local college and his victims were some of his female students. His literary inspiration for his killings? Edgar Allan Poe. Yes, it's a little cliche but Poe always makes for an interesting muse. As the episode goes on, we learn that he had a large following of fans and admirers while in prison. When he breaks out, he gives them instructions  and the Feds soon learn how many steps behind the killer they are. He's nuts and sadistic and he loves books. I like books and shows about serial killers so this show is right up my alley.

The trailer for the next episode stated that it's a 14 week show so I have a feeling that it's going to be a miniseries. As disheartening as that is, I'm ok with it. Shows that go on and on with a plot that will obviously end tend to  get a little out of control stupid (i.e. "LOST") but a miniseries like this is short and to the point. Another miniseries similar to this was "Harper's Island" from a few years back. It was another serial killer whodunnit mystery that was fairly well done.

With that being said, unless something better comes along "The Following" is my favorite new show of the season. I hope it only gets better from here. If you're into "Criminal Minds" or other shows like it you should check out "The Following". Oh, but only if you have the stomach for it. It's pretty bloody.

No comments:

Post a Comment