2.07.2013

Top Ten Thursday: Shows that I Wish Were Still On Air


Netflix is probably my favorite entertainment source right now. Why? Old tv shows. Although there are several decent shows on our television sets today, there are many that I miss. With the power of Netflix, I am able to watch older shows from my teenage years and even younger (Rugrats anyone?). The newer shows just aren't as good, whether it be mystery or animation or comedy or teen drama---none can compare to some of the shows on TV in the past. I had a hard time coming up with just ten shows that I wish were still on air, but I think that these are my ten most missed shows.Some of them are on Netflix and some of them are not, but you can stream all of them if you know how to work the interwebz.

#10: Smallville

I am not a huge Superman fan, but I can appreciate the struggles he went through. I enjoyed watching young Clark Kent grow up and I'm glad that thus far there has not been a movie to compare it to. I have to admit that I did not watch it all the way through, but I was still sad to see it end. I would like to watch it from the beginning and try to get through it at some point (move it along, Netflix) but until then I will always remember the show up until when Lana marries Lex. I sincerely hope that Henry Cavill does a good job in Man of Steel this year because Tom Welling is a hard Superman to beat. Also, that show was riddled with hot men.

#9: Veronica Mars

I am super into detective shows as well as teen trashy dramas. This show was both. It had great music and Veronica's witty sarcasm made the show. It was highly entertaining and every week the episodes left you feeling satisfied yet curious about what would happen next.

#8: Scrubs

Words can't describe how much I love this show. It was hilarious with splashes of drama in the background---way different than most medical shows. I wish there were more doctors around like the whiskey drinking  Dr. Cox. JD &Turk forever.

#7: Batman Beyond

This animated show did not derive from the comics (eventually there was a comic series about it. Pretty good too.) yet it still held true to the Batman name, and not because Bruce was in it. His protege, Terry, is a great replacement from Bruce's version of Batman. He maintains the surly, domineering feeling that criminals get from the symbol yet he still makes Batman his own character. he's not broody like Bruce, he's just young and fearless and sarcastic. It was cool and futuristic and it brought to light new villains that emulated features of past foes yet were still able to be completely different. 

#6: Arrested Development

Watch it. Just do it. I am just excited as the next AD fan that the show will have brand new episodes on Netflix later this year but I wish it wouldn't have ended at all. Baby Michael Cera is adorably pathetic and who doesn't love Buster's hook hand? Remember: "there's always money in the banana stand."

#5: Roswell

This sci-fi teen drama is just the type of teen trash that I absolutely love. There are aliens and the FBI and love triangles that make you scream "WHAT THE HELL?" at the tv. I wish it would've lasted longer than it did. Also, Max was my skinny boy crush. I kind of love him.

#4: The OC

"Welcome to the OC, bitch!" is pretty much how I feel every time I venture into the hell that is Orange County. My dislike of the county aside, this show is another one that I would still religiously watch today. Recently I picked up the 3rd season on DVD (sparked the idea for this post actually) and rewatched it in two days. The OC is dramatic and funny and suspenseful all at once. It was one of those shows that you cursed when the episode ended because you had to wait until next week to find out what happened. I have realized that I am the Seth Cohen to my best friend's Ryan Atwood. Although the show went downhill after Marissa died, I still wish that they would've continued showing Ryan and Taylor's development and featured baby Cohen a little more. We will always have Chrismukkah.

#3: Freaks and Geeks

Cult classic. Hilarious. Everyone can identify with any of these characters and there are so many great actors in it. Linda Cardellini, James Franco, Jason Segal, and Seth Rogan all play characters that seem to match their personalities today. This is a show that you can sit down and watch and think "this is every single high school in America" no matter what era you were born into. I was definitely one of the Freaks when I was in high school with a bit of Geek splashed in. 

#2: Batman: The Animated Series

It is no secret that I am a huge Batman fan. I read the comics as a kid and although I'm about 2 years behind, I still love all things Batman. Batman: The Animated Series is by far the best portrayal of The Dark Knight ever to be presented onscreen. This show was incredible and really true to the comics. I remember being a kid and getting up early to watch it every Saturday morning. I still have old VHS tapes (a couple DVDs too) of my favorite episodes and I remember just watching them over and over. I wish it wouldn't have ended.

#1: Gilmore Girls

I don't care what gender you are---this show was hilarious. I get a lot of crap from friends about my love of this show but I'll let you guys in on a little secret: just about everything in my life can be traced back to Gilmore Girls. One of my oldest friends grew up in a conservative Asian household and her mom always reminded me of Mrs. Kim. The Gilmore's are the best kind of dysfunctional family. The humor is in the puns and Lorali's wacky thoughts. The relationship between Rory and Lorali is something special, a relationship that will never fade. Although they are daughter and mother, the two of them truly are best friends. The Stars Hollow townsfolk are all coo-coo-bananas and you can't help but laugh at their quirks. Another perk: Rory's dad, Christopher, is hot. Dean, Logan and of course Jess are all gorgeous as well. I mean, who can say no to Milo Ventimiglia? "Oy with the poodles already."



Well, now that the world knows how much I love trashy television, I think I'll stop there. My brain hurts. I watch way too much tv. Oh well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment